Determining the age or manufactured date of a SUN server/workstation - SUN

This is a discussion on Determining the age or manufactured date of a SUN server/workstation - SUN ; I have been asked to estimate the age of about 50 or 60 SUN servers in my datacenter. Is there a specific command, or file that would give me this information. I'm not having much luck googling this one. Any ...

  1. Determining the age or manufactured date of a SUN server/workstation

    I have been asked to estimate the age of about 50 or 60 SUN servers in
    my datacenter. Is there a specific command, or file that would give
    me this information. I'm not having much luck googling this one. Any
    advice would be much appreciated.

    thanks,

    Steve B.

  2. Re: Determining the age or manufactured date of a SUN server/workstation

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, smb1965@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have been asked to estimate the age of about 50 or 60 SUN servers in
    > my datacenter. Is there a specific command, or file that would give
    > me this information. I'm not having much luck googling this one. Any

    Nope. Your best bet is to make a note of their serial numbers, and
    decipher that (or find the original yellow sheets Sun servers ship
    with).

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  3. Re: Determining the age or manufactured date of a SUN server/workstation

    "smb1965@gmail.com" writes:
    >I have been asked to estimate the age of about 50 or 60 SUN servers in
    >my datacenter. Is there a specific command, or file that would give
    >me this information. I'm not having much luck googling this one. Any
    >advice would be much appreciated.

    Do you reinstall the OS's often? If you look at the timestamp on the
    directories in / (ie. bin etc opt) you should have a good idea of when
    the OS was installed.

    If you never re-install the OS (common enough practice in the
    corporate world), then that could be an appropriate age.

  4. Re: Determining the age or manufactured date of a SUN server/workstation

    smb1965@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have been asked to estimate the age of about 50 or 60 SUN servers in
    > my datacenter. Is there a specific command, or file that would give
    > me this information. I'm not having much luck googling this one. Any
    > advice would be much appreciated.

    The EOL-systems handbook tells you when Sun stopped selling some systems.
    That might give you an idea of "at least" how old they might be.

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub...ystemList.html

  5. Re: Determining the age or manufactured date of a SUN server/workstation

    On Jun 19, 11:10 am, "smb1...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > I have been asked to estimate the age of about 50 or 60 SUN servers in
    > my datacenter. Is there a specific command, or file that would give
    > me this information. I'm not having much luck googling this one. Any
    > advice would be much appreciated.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Steve B.

    Rich, Doug, and Oscar thanks for your advice. Not knowing the actual
    date of each server, I'm going to use the "GA"(general availabilty)
    date, and work some kind of formula with the EOL (end of life) date.
    Hopefully I'll be able to justify some new servers. :-)

    Steve

  6. Re: Determining the age or manufactured date of a SUNserver/workstation

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:10:17 -0000
    "smb1965@gmail.com" wrote:

    > I have been asked to estimate the age of about 50 or 60 SUN servers in
    > my datacenter. Is there a specific command, or file that would give
    > me this information. I'm not having much luck googling this one. Any
    > advice would be much appreciated.

    The prtfru command will give you the manufacturing date of the key
    compoments of your system. My Blade2000 chassis (code name Excalibur)
    was manufactured on Friday November 8th, 2002 in Thailand, while one
    its 900MHz processors was manufactured seven days later in England:

    # prtfru -c | less
    /frutree/chassis?Label=chassis/system-board?Label=system-board
    (container) SEGMENT: SD
    /ManR
    /ManR/UNIX_Timestamp32: Fri Nov 8 04:17:24 CET 2002
    /ManR/Fru_Description: ASSY,EXCAL/LITTLENECK,0 MEG,TSTD
    /ManR/Manufacture_Loc: CELESTICA,THAILAND
    /ManR/Sun_Part_No: 5016230
    /ManR/Sun_Serial_No: 067363
    /ManR/Vendor_Name: Celestica
    /ManR/Initial_HW_Dash_Level: 06
    /ManR/Initial_HW_Rev_Level: 50
    /ManR/Fru_Shortname:
    /SpecPartNo: 885-0030-06
    /frutree/chassis?Label=chassis/system-board?Label=system-board/cpu-slot?
    Label=cpu0/cpu-module (container) SEGMENT: SD
    /ManR
    /ManR/UNIX_Timestamp32: Fri Nov 15 15:57:36 CET 2002
    /ManR/Fru_Description: ASSY,CHEETAH+,900MHZ,8MB,3.3NS
    /ManR/Manufacture_Loc: CELESTICA,KIDSGROVE,UNITED KINGDOM
    /ManR/Sun_Part_No: 5016002
    /ManR/Sun_Serial_No: 082295
    /ManR/Vendor_Name: Celestica
    /ManR/Initial_HW_Dash_Level: 03
    /ManR/Initial_HW_Rev_Level: 54
    /ManR/Fru_Shortname: CPU
    /SpecPartNo: 816-1922-06

    Most if not all of the SPARC server class kit has this information.
    You can check which FRUs are in your equipment using fruadm (located
    in /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin).

    --
    Stefaan A Eeckels
    --