How to get a SAVF file from my DB2/400 to Local directory? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on How to get a SAVF file from my DB2/400 to Local directory? - IBM AS400 ; Hi, I have created the SAVF file in to my Library. I want to download into my Local system(Windows XP). What FTP command is used to perform this operation? Veera...

  1. How to get a SAVF file from my DB2/400 to Local directory?

    Hi,

    I have created the SAVF file in to my Library. I want to download
    into my Local system(Windows XP). What FTP command is used to perform
    this operation?

    Veera

  2. Re: How to get a SAVF file from my DB2/400 to Local directory?

    pveerasekar@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have created the SAVF file in to my Library. I want to download
    > into my Local system(Windows XP).

    Why?

    > What FTP command is used to perform
    > this operation?

    A PUT or a GET, depending on the platform on which you initiate the FTP
    session. If you initiate it from the iSeries to the XP system
    (unlikely), you'd do a PUT. If you initiate it from XP, you'd do a GET.
    Before doing either, you'd need to do a BIN (binary).

  3. Re: How to get a SAVF file from my DB2/400 to Local directory?

    On the iSeries it is easiest to have the Save File in QGPL
    Know the IP address of the iSeries or it's name
    On the PC
    [Start] [run] cmd [OK]
    CD to the folder on the PC that you want to move the Save File
    Key FTP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (your iSeries IP address)
    when FTP starts use your iSeries User ID & Password
    key binary [Enter]
    key quote site namefmt 1 [Enter]
    key cd /qsys.lib/qgpl.lib [Enter]
    key get my.savf my.savf [Enter]
    key quit [Enter]
    This will store a transportable Save File on your PC.
    HTH

    wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have created the SAVF file in to my Library. I want to download
    > into my Local system(Windows XP). What FTP command is used to perform
    > this operation?
    >
    > Veera

  4. Re: How to get a SAVF file from my DB2/400 to Local directory?

    On Jul 30, 3:56*pm, Rudy Canoza wrote:
    > pveerase...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > * * I have created the SAVF file in to my Library. I want to download
    > > into my Local system(Windows XP).

    > Why?
    >
    > > What FTP command is used to perform
    > > this operation?

    > A PUT or a GET, depending on the platform on which you initiate the FTP
    > session. *If you initiate it from the iSeries to the XP system
    > (unlikely), you'd do a PUT. *If you initiate it from XP, you'd do a GET..
    > * Before doing either, you'd need to do a BIN (binary).

    Hi,

    I used a FTP(Windows XP) command to get a file from AS/400.
    First, I have created the SAVF file into my Library.
    For example : CLIMBTECH/CLIMBSAVF
    Here CLIMBTECH is library name and CLIMBSAVF is savf file name.
    Now, I started the Windows command prompt and connected to FTP.
    I changed to the CLIMBTECH directory and looked the CLIMBSAVF file.

    How do download a CLIMBSAVF file into C:/?

    Please look into the following FTP command:-
    What I need to do further?

    C:\>ftp 192.168.0.200
    Connected to 192.168.0.200.
    220-QTCP AT 192.168.0.200.
    220 CONNECTION WILL CLOSE IF IDLE MORE THAN 5 MINUTES.
    User (192.168.0.200none)): qsecofr
    331 ENTER PASSWORD.
    Password:
    230 QSECOFR LOGGED ON.
    ftp> cd CLIMBTECH
    250 "CLIMBTECH" IS CURRENT LIBRARY.
    ftp> dir
    200 PORT SUBCOMMAND REQUEST SUCCESSFUL.
    125 LIST STARTED.
    QSECOFR 208896 08/07/12 18:27:19 *FILE CATEGORIES
    QSECOFR *MEM
    CATEGORIES.CATEGORIES
    QSECOFR 24576 08/07/29 20:12:35 *FILE CLIMBSAVF
    QSECOFR 204800 08/07/25 15:56:32 *FILE CLIMB00001
    QSECOFR *MEM
    CLIMB00001.CLIMB00001
    QSECOFR 212992 08/07/25 16:24:32 *FILE TOK_EMPL
    QSECOFR *MEM TOK_EMPL.TOK_EMPL
    250 LIST COMPLETED.
    ftp: 467 bytes received in 0.05Seconds 9.94Kbytes/sec.

    Thanks,
    Veera

  5. Re: How to get a SAVF file from my DB2/400 to Local directory?

    dir only lists the directory entries. If you want to change
    directory on PC, use lcd

    otherwise use (as suggested by DIck & Rudy)
    BIN
    GET CLIMBSAVF.SAVF (the .SAVF extention is required)

    If you change the namefmt as Dick does, you have to use the longer
    name format.

  6. Re: How to get a SAVF file from my DB2/400 to Local directory?

    On Jul 30, 9:15*pm, Graybeard wrote:
    > dir *only lists the directory entries. * If you want to change
    > directory on PC, *use lcd
    >
    > otherwise use (as suggested by DIck & Rudy)
    > BIN
    > GET *CLIMBSAVF.SAVF * * * * (the .SAVF *extention is required)
    >
    > If you change the namefmt as Dick does, you have to use the longer
    > name format.

    Hi,

    I executed the GET command. But, I unable to download the file.
    It was created a 0 byte file in my local directory.

    How do download the file from my AS/400 directory into my Local
    directory?

    Password:
    230 QSECOFR LOGGED ON.
    ftp> bin
    200 REPRESENTATION TYPE IS BINARY IMAGE.
    ftp> cd climbtech
    250 "CLIMBTECH" IS CURRENT LIBRARY.
    ftp> ls
    200 PORT SUBCOMMAND REQUEST SUCCESSFUL.
    125 LIST STARTED.
    CATEGORIES.CATEGORIES
    CLIMBSAVF
    CLIMB00001.CLIMB00001
    TOK_EMPL.TOK_EMPL
    250 LIST COMPLETED.
    ftp: 76 bytes received in 0.05Seconds 1.65Kbytes/sec.
    ftp> GET CLIMBSAVF.SAVF
    200 PORT SUBCOMMAND REQUEST SUCCESSFUL.
    150 RETRIEVING MEMBER SAVF IN FILE CLIMBSAVF IN LIBRARY CLIMBTECH.
    226 FILE TRANSFER COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY.
    ftp>

    What's the cause for the above command?

    Thanks,
    Veera

  7. Re: How to get a SAVF file from my DB2/400 to Local directory?

    pveerasekar@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 30, 9:15 pm, Graybeard wrote:
    >> dir only lists the directory entries. If you want to change
    >> directory on PC, use lcd
    >>
    >> otherwise use (as suggested by DIck & Rudy)
    >> BIN
    >> GET CLIMBSAVF.SAVF (the .SAVF extention is required)
    >>
    >> If you change the namefmt as Dick does, you have to use the longer
    >> name format.

    > Hi,
    >
    > I executed the GET command. But, I unable to download the file.
    > It was created a 0 byte file in my local directory.
    >
    > How do download the file from my AS/400 directory into my Local
    > directory?
    >
    > Password:
    > 230 QSECOFR LOGGED ON.
    > ftp> bin
    > 200 REPRESENTATION TYPE IS BINARY IMAGE.
    > ftp> cd climbtech
    > 250 "CLIMBTECH" IS CURRENT LIBRARY.
    > ftp> ls
    > 200 PORT SUBCOMMAND REQUEST SUCCESSFUL.
    > 125 LIST STARTED.
    > CATEGORIES.CATEGORIES
    > CLIMBSAVF
    > CLIMB00001.CLIMB00001
    > TOK_EMPL.TOK_EMPL
    > 250 LIST COMPLETED.
    > ftp: 76 bytes received in 0.05Seconds 1.65Kbytes/sec.
    > ftp> GET CLIMBSAVF.SAVF
    > 200 PORT SUBCOMMAND REQUEST SUCCESSFUL.
    > 150 RETRIEVING MEMBER SAVF IN FILE CLIMBSAVF IN LIBRARY CLIMBTECH.
    > 226 FILE TRANSFER COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY.
    > ftp>
    >
    > What's the cause for the above command?

    The .SAVF extension is not required for the library naming, which I
    believe is the naming being used, per the "current library" result of
    the CD request. I doubt that would be origin for the issue however
    [since if that were the issue, I would expect an error], but that would
    be my first test anyhow; the LS request clearly shows it without that
    extension, so it makes sense it would not be required.

    I recall there is a problem with FTP involving SAVF, although I am
    not sure if the given symptom is the result. But be sure the save file
    is not /in use/ when the FTP GET subcommand is issued; i.e. the zero
    byte result may be a side effect of a GET that is performed when DSPSAVF
    was active on the host for the named save file.

    Regards, Chuck

  8. Re: How to get a SAVF file from my DB2/400 to Local directory?

    pveerasekar@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 30, 9:15 pm, Graybeard wrote:
    >> dir only lists the directory entries. If you want to change
    >> directory on PC, use lcd
    >>
    >> otherwise use (as suggested by DIck & Rudy)
    >> BIN
    >> GET CLIMBSAVF.SAVF (the .SAVF extention is required)
    >>
    >> If you change the namefmt as Dick does, you have to use the longer
    >> name format.

    > Hi,
    >
    > I executed the GET command. But, I unable to download the file.
    > It was created a 0 byte file in my local directory.
    >
    > How do download the file from my AS/400 directory into my Local
    > directory?
    >
    > Password:
    > 230 QSECOFR LOGGED ON.
    > ftp> bin
    > 200 REPRESENTATION TYPE IS BINARY IMAGE.
    > ftp> cd climbtech
    > 250 "CLIMBTECH" IS CURRENT LIBRARY.
    > ftp> ls
    > 200 PORT SUBCOMMAND REQUEST SUCCESSFUL.
    > 125 LIST STARTED.
    > CATEGORIES.CATEGORIES
    > CLIMBSAVF
    > CLIMB00001.CLIMB00001
    > TOK_EMPL.TOK_EMPL
    > 250 LIST COMPLETED.
    > ftp: 76 bytes received in 0.05Seconds 1.65Kbytes/sec.
    > ftp> GET CLIMBSAVF.SAVF
    > 200 PORT SUBCOMMAND REQUEST SUCCESSFUL.
    > 150 RETRIEVING MEMBER SAVF IN FILE CLIMBSAVF IN LIBRARY CLIMBTECH.
    > 226 FILE TRANSFER COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY.
    > ftp>
    >
    > What's the cause for the above command?

    You still didn't do the BIN (binary) command. Do that before the GET.

  9. Re: How to get a SAVF file from my DB2/400 to Local directory?

    Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > pveerasekar@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Jul 30, 9:15 pm, Graybeard wrote:
    >>> dir only lists the directory entries. If you want to change
    >>> directory on PC, use lcd
    >>>
    >>> otherwise use (as suggested by DIck & Rudy)
    >>> BIN
    >>> GET CLIMBSAVF.SAVF (the .SAVF extention is required)
    >>>
    >>> If you change the namefmt as Dick does, you have to use the longer
    >>> name format.

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I executed the GET command. But, I unable to download the file.
    >> It was created a 0 byte file in my local directory.
    >>
    >> How do download the file from my AS/400 directory into my Local
    >> directory?
    >>
    >> Password:
    >> 230 QSECOFR LOGGED ON.
    >> ftp> bin
    >> 200 REPRESENTATION TYPE IS BINARY IMAGE.

    Oops. Sorry - didn't see that you did do it farther up the command chain.

    >> ftp> cd climbtech
    >> 250 "CLIMBTECH" IS CURRENT LIBRARY.
    >> ftp> ls
    >> 200 PORT SUBCOMMAND REQUEST SUCCESSFUL.
    >> 125 LIST STARTED.
    >> CATEGORIES.CATEGORIES
    >> CLIMBSAVF
    >> CLIMB00001.CLIMB00001
    >> TOK_EMPL.TOK_EMPL
    >> 250 LIST COMPLETED.
    >> ftp: 76 bytes received in 0.05Seconds 1.65Kbytes/sec.
    >> ftp> GET CLIMBSAVF.SAVF
    >> 200 PORT SUBCOMMAND REQUEST SUCCESSFUL.
    >> 150 RETRIEVING MEMBER SAVF IN FILE CLIMBSAVF IN LIBRARY CLIMBTECH.
    >> 226 FILE TRANSFER COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY.
    >> ftp>
    >>
    >> What's the cause for the above command?

    > You still didn't do the BIN (binary) command. Do that before the GET.

  10. Re: How to get a SAVF file from my DB2/400 to Local directory?

    On Jul 30, 3:28*am, pveerase...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > * * I have created the SAVF file in to my Library. I want to download
    > into my Local system(Windows XP). What FTP command is used to perform
    > this operation?
    >
    > Veera

    If WDSC is installed or if you are working with WDSC, you can just
    copy and paste a savefile from your AS/400 (or whatever its name is)
    to your windows xp directory.

    Birgitta

  11. Re: How to get a SAVF file from my DB2/400 to Local directory?

    On Aug 1, 3:07*am, pveerase...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 30, 9:15*pm, Graybeard wrote:
    >
    > > dir *only lists the directory entries. * If you want to change
    > > directory on PC, *use lcd

    > > otherwise use (as suggested by DIck & Rudy)
    > > BIN
    > > GET *CLIMBSAVF.SAVF * * * * (the .SAVF *extention is required)

    > > If you change the namefmt as Dick does, you have to use the longer
    > > name format.

    > Hi,
    >
    > *I executed the GET command. But, I unable to download the file.
    > It was created a 0 byte file in my local directory.
    >
    > How do download the file from my AS/400 directory into my Local
    > directory?
    >
    > Password:
    > 230 QSECOFR LOGGED ON.
    > ftp> bin
    > 200 REPRESENTATION TYPE IS BINARY IMAGE.
    > ftp> cd climbtech
    > 250 "CLIMBTECH" IS CURRENT LIBRARY.
    > ftp> ls
    > 200 PORT SUBCOMMAND REQUEST SUCCESSFUL.
    > 125 LIST STARTED.
    > CATEGORIES.CATEGORIES
    > CLIMBSAVF
    > CLIMB00001.CLIMB00001
    > TOK_EMPL.TOK_EMPL
    > 250 LIST COMPLETED.
    > ftp: 76 bytes received in 0.05Seconds 1.65Kbytes/sec.
    > ftp> GET CLIMBSAVF.SAVF
    > 200 PORT SUBCOMMAND REQUEST SUCCESSFUL.
    > 150 RETRIEVING MEMBER SAVF IN FILE CLIMBSAVF IN LIBRARY CLIMBTECH.
    > 226 FILE TRANSFER COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY.
    > ftp>
    >
    > What's the cause for the above command?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Veera

    If I get a savefil then I have these results:
    200 PORT subcommand request successful.
    150 Retrieving member SAVF in file SAVF in library X12345.
    250 File transfer completed successfully.
    ftp: 8232576 bytes received in 64.80Seconds 127.05Kbytes/sec.
    & have an 8Meg file on the pc.

    However If i clrsavf & re get it I get this:
    200 PORT subcommand request successful.
    150 Retrieving member SAVF in file SAVF in library X12345.
    250 File transfer completed successfully.
    & have a zero byte object on the pc.

    My guess is you are getting correct results. Do a dspsavf ie
    DSPSAVF CLIMBSAVF/SAVF & check your save commands worked.

    Jonathan.

+ Reply to Thread