AIX CPU at 100% - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX CPU at 100% - Aix ; AIX 5.2 . We have an AIX server where we have DB2 V8.2 and the WebSphere 5.1 installed. We now have the CPU at 99% all the time. It is the user time 99% which is the result of both: ...

  1. AIX CPU at 100%

    AIX 5.2 .

    We have an AIX server where we have DB2 V8.2 and the WebSphere 5.1
    installed. We now have the CPU at 99% all the time. It is the user
    time 99% which is the result of both:

    sar -u 1 5
    and
    vmstat 1 commands.

    My question is how can I find out what is causing the 99% CPU usage
    (The process) ? You have a little more command options on AIX 5.3 but
    5.2 is limited.

    On windows, you go to the task manager and click on the processes
    column then CPU column which will tell you what process use how much
    CPU.

    How do I find this on AIX 5.2 server ? Any command ?

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: AIX CPU at 100%

    frx65@hotmail.com schrieb:

    > How do I find this on AIX 5.2 server ? Any command ?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    topas or nmon.
    And in case you need more details on the processes
    using all the CPU have a look at tprof .

  3. Re: AIX CPU at 100%

    The best AIX command to check CPU utilization is tprof.
    You can find more about this on this link:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/sy...datepart3.html
    I usually use it on the following way:
    tprof -k -x sleep 10
    But you can play with the flags as you want.

    Regards,

    Jackson

  4. Re: AIX CPU at 100%

    On Apr 20, 8:36 am, Jack wrote:
    > The best AIX command to check CPU utilization is tprof.
    > You can find more about this on this link:http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/sy....2_performance...
    > I usually use it on the following way:
    > tprof -k -x sleep 10
    > But you can play with the flags as you want.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jackson

    Thanks for the info but none of these work. I don't have GUI access to
    the server. It is manged by HMC.

    topas ---> doesn't work. I think it only works on AIX 5.3. I get "ksh:
    topas: not found."
    nmon ---> is a GUI tool. As I said I don't have GUI access.
    tprof -k -x sleep 10 -----> I get "ksh: tprof: not found." Is there
    something missing (Not installed) on the server ? But when I do "man
    tprof" I get the info on the screen.

    Thanks again.

  5. Re: AIX CPU at 100%

    On 21 Apr, 14:33, fr...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 20, 8:36 am, Jack wrote:
    >
    > > The best AIX command to check CPU utilization is tprof.
    > > You can find more about this on this link:http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/sy....2_performance...
    > > I usually use it on the following way:
    > > tprof -k -x sleep 10
    > > But you can play with the flags as you want.

    > > Regards,

    > > Jackson

    > Thanks for the info but none of these work. I don't have GUI access to
    > the server. It is manged by HMC.
    >
    > topas ---> doesn't work. I think it only works on AIX 5.3. I get "ksh:
    > topas: *not found."
    > nmon ---> is a GUI tool. As I said I don't have GUI access.
    > tprof -k -x sleep 10 -----> I get "ksh: tprof: *not found." Is there
    > something missing (Not installed) on the server ? But when I do "man
    > tprof" I get the info on the screen.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Hi,

    nmon isnt GUI based. You can run it from a telnet program such as
    'putty'

    you need bos.perf.tools installed for topas and tprof.

    Id use nmon first though.

    Scott

  6. Re: AIX CPU at 100%

    On Apr 21, 11:18*am, scott wrote:
    > On 21 Apr, 14:33, fr...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > On Apr 20, 8:36 am, Jack wrote:

    > > > The best AIX command to check CPU utilization is tprof.
    > > > You can find more about this on this link:http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/sy....2_performance...
    > > > I usually use it on the following way:
    > > > tprof -k -x sleep 10
    > > > But you can play with the flags as you want.

    > > > Regards,

    > > > Jackson

    > > Thanks for the info but none of these work. I don't have GUI access to
    > > the server. It is manged by HMC.

    > > topas ---> doesn't work. I think it only works on AIX 5.3. I get "ksh:
    > > topas: *not found."
    > > nmon ---> is a GUI tool. As I said I don't have GUI access.
    > > tprof -k -x sleep 10 -----> I get "ksh: tprof: *not found." Is there
    > > something missing (Not installed) on the server ? But when I do "man
    > > tprof" I get the info on the screen.

    > > Thanks again.

    > Hi,
    >
    > nmon isnt GUI based. *You can run it from a telnet program such as
    > 'putty'
    >
    > you need bos.perf.tools installed for topas and tprof.
    >
    > Id use nmon first though.
    >
    > Scott- Hide quoted text -

    None of the tools were installed but the below command has done it for
    the first 10 CPU consuming processes..........

    ps aux | head -1 ; ps aux | sort -rn +2 | head -10

+ Reply to Thread